So I've been having a nerdy English major moment today, haha. I've been thinking about words and the power that they have. I've especially been thinking about quotes. Quotes are just a series of words strung together, but they have the ability to change a person's life, for better or worse. I like to think about the quotes that change people for the better. Sometimes words are all a person has to hang on to through a challenging time. The words of another can ease pain, create joy, give hope, and make life better. It's amazing, though, isn't it? Words are just letters of the alphabet placed together in a certain manner, yet they hold so much power. I really do believe in the old adage that the pen is mightier than the sword. So, on this thought I would like to share some of my favorite quotes, or series of words put together, with you that have made an impact in my life. Please feel free to share some of your favorites in the comment box of this blog.
"You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person." - Unknown
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - J.K. Rowling, through her character Albus Dumbledore
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - J.K. Rowling, through her character Albus Dumbledore.
"Not that I speak in respect of want, for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith, to be content." - Phillippians 4:11
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Phillippians 4:13
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt
"Believe there are no limits but the sky." - Cervantes
"This above all: to thine own self be true". - Hamlet (Act I, Scene III) William Shakespeare
"This is the fight against the establishment of the expected. This is the rebirth of the battle for brave new ideas." - Quote from the official poster of the 2010 Sundance Film Festival
"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them". - Twelfth Night (Act II, Scene V) William Shakespeare
"Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured." - President Gordon B. Hinkley
"If life gets too hard to stand, kneel." - President Gordon B. Hinkley
"The closer we get to perfection, the less we see the flaws in others." - Quote from one of my mom's best friends, Belinda
"You cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours because when you step out to face that creature, you will step out alone." - The White Queen in Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland
I know I have quite a few quotes here, but they all are so powerful to me, and there are many more I could add. I am just fascinated by the power of words, though. I believe that we need to choose our words wisely, because they are one of the most powerful tools that we have.
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
So I wish it was like Facebook and we could "like" posts. haha!
Here are some of my favorites:
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."-William Shakespeare
"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly."-Lanston Hughes
Thanks for sharing! I love your quotes. They will definitely be added to my list of favorites!
LOVE! :) I also love that you added more music to your playlist without pushy blog friends' help! Haha. "You go Glen Coco, you go!" ;)
Post a Comment